Wednesday, March 28, 2018

Social network and its effect on focus

I generally used to work with passion and with the intent of finishing of most tasks of the day.

But after I came to the US, I wanted to be in touch with my friends using social networks. So started using lots of Facebook, Instagram, twitter, redditt and some such social media platforms


I even registered to networks like wattpad and what not. Boredom indeed makes you do mysterious things


I didn't know what I was getting into until I got really busy with work and also did not time even find time to speak with my family members.

There were a lot of notifications which I was getting constantly. It was like bombardment of notifications and the distractions those notifications took on me was really tough to handle.

I tried so hard and finally decided to control usage of social network.


I fortunately had 2 phones out of which all my social network were in the phone which I used it while at home and another phone for just work related notifications and minimal messages usage.


When I come home now. I see that there are atleast 100-200 social network related notifications. If I had given myself into each of the notifications, that even a minute per notification would have taken out 100 or 200 minutes of my productive day.

More of half of it is really not required.

Staying in control of your social network is really important.


Things I have better control of now: Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, TV

Things I follow now if I get bored: Youtube, Quora subscribed content, an occasional netflix and books to read.

Changes I have begun to notice in my life:

I can invest more time doing quality and productive work
Focus has improved
I have been doing more work can I imagined I would/could ever do 
Reading and writing skills have improved

By greater network comes even greater responsibility to control our urge for getting distracted and always stay focussed


1 comment:

  1. Super Write Up!! Naveen.
    Good to read that you escaped from social media addiction which is not less than a drug addiction in my opinion.

    ReplyDelete